Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'm Experimenting...

with telling the kids consequences for choices and letting go rather than constantly nagging the kids to do what I want them to do.

One thing I am trying is telling them that we can have kindergarten when their chores are done or when the family room is clean. It's just not cutting it yet. Lately they have often just not gotten to have school. Today was one of those days.

I really don't like how often we are missing school because of things not getting cleaned up. It's not that we're missing something or getting behind. Frankly, they often do just as good of things when we don't have school as when we do. And school this year is to practice and figure out what works well for our family, how flexible/ rigid we want to be and the routines and schedules we want to have (at least until the family dynamic changes, which seems to happen pretty often with this age of kids. Their schedules and needs change often.)

My goal is to help my kids be self-governed. I know we'll need to work on that for years, but we're trying to put some things into place.

Anyway, no school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment