Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Patriotism, Family, Memory, and Movies

I'm afraid I'm a little behind on here. I hope to catch up soon. For now, here's what we did today.

I asked Amy if she wanted to do a family history story, a project of making Joy School binders, or read a story of my choice for mom class today. She chose story of my choice. And then proceeded to reject my choice. She pointed my attention to the Power Tales books, and I happily chose one of those. We read about "The Power of Patriotism" with the story of Francis Scott Key.

Then Amy chose a story of her own - The Princess and the Pea

Next activity was play "Family". Amy was the mom. I was the dad. (I think the mom may have been a more natural part for me. I was expected to use a deep voice and speak Spanish.:) Amy requested that we watch a movie first to give us ideas for our pretend play. (We did this once with Mickey Mouse, and she loves it when she can get away with it again. Not that she needs ideas for how to play family.) We watched some mormon messages that had a family walking together and another with a mom and dad playing with their baby. Eliza was more or less agreeable to playing the different recreations of the movies we watched. Then Amy told me to play with the baby while she made lunch. (Is it that fun to play with the baby while someone else makes lunch in real life? That was awesome.)

Then our little family transitioned to having Family Home Evening. I conducted. Luckily I knew most of this script in Spanish as I've heard Matt conduct FHE lots of times. THE was in charge of song. Amy said he chose Nephi's Courage so we sang it. Then Eliza did trick. Kind of. About like she usually does. Then comes show and tell. When it was my turn, I went and got a game thinking it would be fun to play. (It's always hit and miss whether or not Amy's activities will be entertaining for me so I sometimes like to nudge her towards something less boring than some activities.) It worked.

So we played Memory. Amy's very good at it.

Then Eliza insisted on the next activity. Snack time.

Noel wanted to go on a bike ride, but I was tired and feeling a little yucky so they went outside by themselves for a small moment. Then she suggested a movie for her activity. We watched a few little youtubes and called it good.

Fun and busy kindergarten.

Now Amy's practicing songs along with one of her Alexander's Amazing Adventures CDs. It's pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment