Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thursday February 5, 2015

Today we played a game called Dice War. It's like War but with dice. Tried it out. It's ok.

Read a chapter of Fairy Realm and part of a chapter about a mathematician.

By family work, Amy was off pouting. We cleaned the family room and moved school downstairs.

Today at reading and writing class I let everyone sign up for a 1 on 1 class with me. Amy chose memory. Noel, a rolling around game. Eliza wanted a writing lesson. We looked for matches with our little letter cards and then wrote them.

I feel like I am never content with school and always frustrated that the kids don't do things the way I want them to. The balance of giving choice and following kids' interests mixed with wanting to inspire and invite them and wishing people would obey is so hard. I love lots of what we do but get frustrated nearly every day. I think some of it is unrealistic expectations. Also, we do some things well for a while then abandon them and do other things well. Trying to get better mixed with trying to be ok with how things are is hard too.

This week we tried to make it so we do group learning in the morning with everyone coming and individual learning time during reading and writing class. That's been an improvement.

I think one challenge is everyone thinking they get to weigh in on every little thing then making a mountain out of a molehill. (We taught the kids that phrase last night, and they wanted me to use it.)

This week Eliza had a library trip at Joy School, Amy had an orthodontist appointment, we had a short school day Wed. with Benjamin sick and snuggly. Just a little reading and one game.

I hope I can change my mindset and my systems and be content with school.

No comments:

Post a Comment