Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Bit of Random

This morning we had family home (morning) because we thought it would be nicer to do our activity today than last night. We went bowling and to lunch and came home for a lesson.

Then we out Eliza to bed and moved right in to school.

Matt bought us new phones yesterday. (His old work provided one, and his new job (wahoo!) won't so he bought one. He got me one too. After 14 months without a phone, I suddenly have a smart phone. Crazy!

The point is, Mom Class today was choosing a ring tone. We voted on each one. At first Amy liked ALL of them, and Noel most of them. Then Amy started deciding that she hated each one. So did Noel for most. As we finally decided, the girls dissolved into Noel screaming, "I need space," Amy ignoring her, and finally Noel kicking Amy. And then, of course, they were both crying.

So we took a break, a cooling off period. I dinked around with my phone trying to figure it out. (At one point I was trying to voice command feature, trying to call Matt. "Call Matt Parks." Amy responded with, "Mom, phones don't understand" just like I often tell them Eliza doesn't understand. haha.

During our break, Noel has an accident, and Amy started reading on her own. Interest in school seemed to be dying down. I decided to go work on cleaning a bit while I waited. After a while, Amy then Noel joined me. Noel wanted to have an activity suddenly so we began again.

It went something like this. Noel wanted to make a book like she made with Hilary (our neighbor) one time. It required straws. I didn't know what kind of straws. Not the kind for drinking. We also needed string. Then we went to the kitchen. She told me a lot of things I didn't understand, finally mentioning Amy's helmet. We had made a helmet for Amy out of paper mache so I jumped on that clue. Her activity had morphed to paper mache. She had all sorts of ideas about what and how we should do paper mache, very few of which made sense, some of which were funny. I tried to hang in there, listening, repeating what I could figure out. I didn't want to squash her creativity, but I had no idea how to make her perception of reality into reality. She wanted to paper mache a tray and then paint it black. I finally explained that you can't paper mache a tray; you need a balloon, and we don't have a balloon. Finally she decided to get a box and pretend to decorate it with water. Amy brought up a piece of paper and scissors from downstairs and cut it into strips. Noel then suggested tape and began taping the papers in the box.

After a while of this (I was the tape ripper) Eliza wanted a snack. So we paused the activity and had string cheese which turned into string cheese lessons. (I love when the girls do string cheese lessons. Amy helped me make a house, and Noel helped me do some tricks.) Then Eliza wanted story. She got sidetracked, and Amy and Noel listened to the story. Then Amy wanted another story. At that point, I told the kids school was just done and that that story was our closing routine story.

Funny kids. We get so sidetracked. There were some fun and funny parts today. Days like today make me happy we do home school.

No comments:

Post a Comment