Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Starting Our America Book and Uncle Remus

Today for school, I suggested to the kids we start a binder to include pages about different states. We started by making book covers. Mine included a sketch of America with some facts inside, similar to the facts I will want to find on the states. Noel drew California and Amy, Texas, not sure why. They seemed relatively enthusiastic about the idea at the moment which is cool.

For introduce class today, we learned about swords and guns, looking at pictures of real ones on google, and finding some printable of targets to shoot. Amy got a $1ish gun at the store today (which is already broken AND lost - we have a great track record.) She knew she couldn't even aim it at people and wanted some targets to pretend to shoot. We never quite got to printing them out. But they were still interested, and I felt pleased with myself for acknowledging and encouraging Amy's interest in something I am SO not interested in.

Amy chose outside play for her activity so I asked her if we could do it last. We often do not seem to make it back in to finish school when we go outside for an activity.

Noel chose pretend. She kept griping at Amy for not doing it her way. At one point they had a big argument about the origins of the pet giraffe in the game. Eliza was quite cooperative though. Towards the end, it was suddenly my birthday, and I was being handed pretend presents. I would unwrap them to find live ponies and horses. I never quite know what is wanted of me in pretend play, but it was exciting to see how good Eliza has become at it.

For closing class, I read the girls a little from a book about world religions. Each religion is summed up on a page with a few easy-to-understand paragraphs and a picture opposite. We read today about the Baptists. We found the sum um to include mostly doctrines in harmony with those that we believe. We talked about infant baptism and religious tolerance (although not quite in those terms.) I was pleased about how interested Amy was. (It's always hit and miss with Amy. Not sure if she will love or hate or whatever-in-between ideas I have at school.)

Reading class was a few Uncle Remus stories. They were totally a hit both with Amy and Noel. We read two then and three tonight before bed. I wondered if they were understanding at one point so I asked what they thought would happen. Their answers showed me they totally knew what was going on in the story. I have always loved those stories; my dad would read them to us. The only sad part of it is that the kids missed out on hearing these stories from my dad when he was here even though he read to them at bed time many nights. Oh well; they don't seem disappointed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment