Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pretend Birthdays, Wisconsin, and Games

Today we did Wisconsin for our America book. Eliza's choice. (She simply pointed.) The girls are getting more familiar with what we are doing, and I think it is running smoothly. Today it seemed we worked together better looking up information and copying pictures and sharing markers and taking turns. We listened to this over and over today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqsC92SxcA

I'm hoping that with no real effort on our parts we can learn the states and their capitals.

For our lesson today, I wanted the girls to work on reading, but Amy didn't want to. So Noel read me some Bob books, and we played with Bob flash cards a little.

Noel chose pretend play. She calls it "family. Amy didn't want to play. (She really wasn't in a bad mood, despite what it sounds like.) Here are some highlights of our game:

  • Visiting Daddy at work. No doors, only windows. Don't know why. Daddy always climbs through the window.
  • On the way to visit Daddy, we had to stop by a restaurant and the frosty store, made out of a huge frosty. The whole store frosty only cost $1. Amy ate it. Working at the frosty store was her first job. She wanted to get another one so it was ok that she ate her place of work. Mommy (Noel) ordered corn dogs and frosties for everybody.
  • Mommy bought a trampoline for Daddy's water birthday party. It was a Spiderman trampoline. After we jumped, we did some ice dancing for a party game. 
Pretty awesome pretend play.

Amy chose play Sorry! and eat lunch for her activity.

Then we skipped to our reading time and read an Uncle Remus story so we could then put Eliza to bed (which didn't stick.)

Finally for closing class we played Carcassonne. That game had the worst situation arise of the day. (School really didn't seem as bad as it is sounding on here to me.) At one point, I played a piece that blocked something Amy was working on. Apparently she had just the right piece to play the next time if I hadn't blocked her. She said she had already had that piece but had forgotten to play it. I told her that was her mistake and it was a bummer. (I'm not sure if she was telling the truth or not, but either way I think it was too late to change.) Amy became too despondent to play. She gave me an ultimatum that she would only play if I changed it. As she was having an attitude problem, I had no intention of giving in to her demands. Noel wanted me to. Amy finally messed up a little of the game and left. We divided the rest of the pieces between us and finished. She came in later and acted like she was going to mess it all up. I told her there would be consequences. She decided against it. Unfortunately, that was how school ended today.


No comments:

Post a Comment