Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thespian School

Yesterday we had my sister, sister-in-law, cousin, and aunt over for a total of 5 fun ladies and 8 fun kids. We had a great time playing most of the day. There was a lot of talk about education philosophy - my favorite subject. (Earliest guest came at 10:00 am, and last left at 10:00pm.) In the late afternoon, all of us except Burns's family went to see Fiddler on the Roof Jr. with complimentary tickets from my neighbor. The kids did mostly well, and the actors were great! We enjoyed ourselves. We called that school for yesterday.

Today we talked about plays for Mom Class. (This is an idea I've had for a while, not intentionally making this week a unit on theatre. Although we did go to a Messiah Sing-a-long (not a play, but still a concert), and Amy, Noel and I are going to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Saturday. So, that's fun.) I showed the girls a copy of Merchant of Venice that I checked out at the library. That was my most recent play to read (listen to.) I showed them how there is a list of characters and taught them about acts and scenes and directors. Amy has been wanting to direct a play from her Alexander's Amazing Adventures CDs for a long time. I wanted to teach her about having a script. So for the rest of Mom Class, we started the script, starting and stopping the CD and transcribing. Who knows if she'll ever do it. I think she's excited about telling everyone where to go and what to do.

Noel chose a puzzle for her activity, and we quickly did that together.

Amy chose a book for her activity. That didn't take long either.

I told the kids we could do one more activity they agreed upon. They chose acting out Caps for Sale. Noel is cute how she tries to say "Fifty cents a cap."

Throughout the school day there were constant snacks. I went to the store and stocked up, mostly on produce, and the kids seemed to be hungrier than usual. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment