Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Back to School!!!

I know most people have already posted about back to school, but we just started today. I say I like to have school from Amy's birthday to Noel's birthday and then take a break til we get through Amy's birthday again. Amy's birthday was Sunday and yesterday Labor Day. So today we are back. We have been excited.

I spent most of August praying and thinking and planning what to do this year. So I've adjusted the routine a bit. I told the girls and myself that we would have two weeks of trying out this routine before we adjust. That way we can get a real idea of what is working well and what isn't.

My impression of today is that it went well and that it could be better. There was some novel excitement and pleasure in some of the activities and some boredom/ noncompliance with other parts. Noel did the best. Amy had some attitude. Eliza started Joy School in the middle of the home school time.

Here's the first day sum up:

We got started about 8:30 with everyone done with their morning routine. That's pretty good for us I'd say. :)

Opening Routine
Prayer - Noel
Move Your Body - (The choosing day girl gets to choose if we exercise or dance or what. (We rotate choosing days at our house to decrease fighting. It's been awesome.)) - Noel led us in half a Sun Salutation.
Water Class - We all get a drink of water.
Stand and Share - Everyone who wants (always starting with Noel who we most want to encourage to express herself) stands up and shares whatever she wants. Announcement, recitation, something she's feeling, something silly, spiritual impressions. Can be whatever anyone wants.
Memorize Class - Today we brainstormed things we'd want to memorize. I think we're going to learn the countries of the world (via Yakko.)

Class
I get to choose. Sometimes kids can help choose. I hope to include this in my prayer a little each morning before we start school so that we can choose well. I have lots of ideas and a few resources. And we'll go from there. (Today we organized school supplies, marking each item with a color of the person whose it is. We decided on two colors for each of us and bought school supplies accordingly. It was a big job to get it all organized, and mine still isn't done. The girls mostly liked this.

Activity
I plan to let the choosing day person choose activity most days. Today, we had a Joy School Meeting right after Joy School. So the kids got to play with friends for activity. That's an exception, not the norm. Normally we'll do an activity all together.

Book
This one's mine. We read together a chapter book of my choosing. Maybe I'll let the choosing day person pick a picture book too if they want. Today we started Little Britches. Amy assumed it would be boring and then didn't want me to stop when I was done. When I asked a couple questions about what I had read, she totally knew. :)

Chore
As you can imagine, this was the "class" that went over least well at school today. I decided we'd let the choosing day person choose what room to clean and we'd all work together to clean up one whole room. Today Noel picked clean the van. We got most of the way through (after some prodding) and then people were all too tired.

Lunch
Pretty self-explanatory. I also get a little break during this time to do a little puzzle on the computer (my entertainment of choice) .

Reading and Writing
I told the girls while they ate about this class. As soon as they clean up their lunch dishes they can go downstairs to the bean bag chairs with a pile including at least one thing to read and at least one thing to write with/ on or draw. As I ate I realized I was totally excited about this class. It had a different feeling about it than others. The girls seemed excited too. That's what we are doing now. Most days my writing will be blogging about what we did although I hope it's not all I have time for. I'm also excited to use this time for a little of my own study. That said, the girls are allowed to get one-on-one during this class. We can read together, they can dictate to me so I can write, and we can work on their individual educational/ fun goals that they need help with. That's the plan.

Overall, I'd say today went pretty well. Matt and I have talked a lot about how to make our school agency-based rather than coercive. I decided to design it like we do food. I offer nutritious and delicious (fun and enriching) things to do. Their requirement is to come and to not distract from others. For many of the activities, they do not have to participate. I do hope that there will be enough fun and interest that most will participate most of the time, but I know some things won't be appealing.The exception is clean up and the group chore. Everyone is instructed to do that.

It did seem like I gave a lot of instructions a lot of times today. So if that continues, I may change things up. That makes things less pleasant for all. In the past I have been a bit wishy washy I think about whether or not they should participate. (I believe in Inspire, not Require as a school principle. That led me to second guess myself and doubt a lot when kids didn't want to participate. Or I'd try to manipulate them without forcing them. I'm a work in progress. :) ) I hope the girls get used to what is expected of them (and not complain or have a bad attitude), and I hope they enjoy much of what we do.

My prayer this morning was that I feel normal. That means for me normal ups and downs in emotions but free from anxiety, particularly the debilitating kind that makes it very difficult to carry on with planned activities. That happened. I am so grateful! I don't feel totally zapped (although I think I would be if I didn't take the break.) I think ending the day with reading and writing will be awesome.

Yay School!

No comments:

Post a Comment