Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday September 9, 2014

Choosing Day: Amy

I took Eliza to Joy School before home school today. We were off to a slow start.

Prayer: Noel

Move Your Body: 3 turns each of Hide and Seek

Water Class.

Stand and Share.

Memorize Class: Nations of the World.

Pledge of Allegiance

(I list all of that for my reference. I'm still learning the routine.)

Class: Read Theseus and the Minotaur (picture book from the library. Yesterday I looked over a list I had that suggested books from long ago including some mythology. As I looked over the list, this is the book that stood out to me to check out.) This is a mix of History Class and Literature Class. On the suggestion of the authors of The Well Trained Mind, I want to focus this year on ancient history. This was our first day of this class, and it was a big success. Noel and Amy were both very interested. We even had some good discussion about it afterwards.

Activity: Youtube of Theseus and the Minotaur. That's how much Amy liked the story. Then we discussed how the book and movie were similar and different and why we liked the story and how the characters were.

Get Eliza from Joy School. Quincy came back with us too.

Reading Time: Little Britches

Chore: Wash window, dust, wash walls and floorboards in living room. I cleaned it up too. I would have vacuumed, but Benjamin was asleep. So I added that to my personal chore time which is after school. It is no longer clean as we decided to have Reading and Writing class in the living room.

Lunch: Amy wanted peanut butter/ banana/ raisin sandwiches. They were pretty good.

Reading and Writing Class (I want to rename it Literacy class, but the name has not yet stuck.):
Amy wanted to write back and forth with me asking questions. We talked more about Theseus. I attempted to ask the 5 types of questions and draw out more discussion. Her thinking wasn't very deep, but her perseverance in the activity was impressive. She got board but wanted to finish the second page of writing. I did ask her 4 of the types of questions. She had some good answers. I found the exercise a huge success. Noel wanted me to read her Fancy Nancy books. Afterwards we wrote a few of the fancy words in her notebook. (I want this activity to be a precursor to spelling/ vocabulary words.) She and Eliza colored in their notebook. Everyone wanted me to read them lots of books. I read some.

I studied Resolved. I think I am rotating through what I study between Teach the Children, The Promises of the Constitution, and Resolved. I may add another. I checked out Wuthering Heights yesterday but intend to read that in bed at night. I like free reading at that time, and I've been wanting to read that book for a long time.

For my writing class I worked on my Personal Prayer Roll. I'm making a list of things I want to pray for guidance and help with on a semi-ongoing basis. I include what effort I am willing to make in addition to my hope for blessings and inspiration. Then I will pray for one step at a time and the next action on the different areas.

Closing Prayer: Eliza




No comments:

Post a Comment